Monday, March 2, 2009

CHRONICLES OF ISLA - I don't love you

Last night, Isla decided to test me. I'm not sure if I passed or failed. She tells me, spontaneously, 10 times a day at least, "I love you, Mommy". Last night, she looked at me with a glint in her eye, and a long up-and-down stare. Then, she quietly said, "I don't love you". I thought my heart would break. It was out of the blue, while we were playing together.

Dumbfounded, I said, "Pardon? What did you say?". No answer. My heart skipped a beat. "Did you say you DON'T love me?". Small smile and a quick nod. I put my best poker face on. I was not going show how devastated I was, even though I knew, deep down, she was toying with me. My sweet, loving, uber-polite, Mommy's girl, is also one of the smartest people I've met lately. She was trying something out, toying with me. This surpassed my shock when she started to call me, "Susan", if I didn't hear her call out "Mommy". Was this borne out of teething pain (when she tends to push my buttons) or some developmental step she was experimenting with?

She looked at me and asked, "Sad face or mad face, Mommy?". When I didn't respond, she asked, "Sad or mad??".

I smiled, "I love you, monkey" and she jumped into my arms, and kissed my neck, saying, "I love you, Mommy".

Whatever it was all about, I'm thankful the game is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment